These are some notes made trying to update the Clipper recipe for the v2.0.0 release.
After testing the build and ensuring the release was tagged and published in the releases tab on GitHub, I confirmed the download URL:
and grabbed the SHA256 hash:
openssl sha256 2.0.0.tar.gz
When I tried to run
brew bump-formula-pr, it told me I needed a GitHub API token, so I got one of those and tried again:
HOMEBREW_GITHUB_API_TOKEN=$REDACTED brew bump-formula-pr \ --sha256=9c9fa0b198d11513777d40c88e2529b2f2f84d7045a500be5946976a5cdcfe83 \ --url=https://github.com/wincent/clipper/archive/2.0.0.tar.gz \ clipper
Username for 'https://github.com': wincent Password for 'https://firstname.lastname@example.org': remote: Invalid username or password. fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://github.com/wincent/homebrew-core.git/' Error: Failure while executing; `git push --set-upstream https://github.com/wincent/homebrew-core.git clipper-2.0.0:clipper-2.0.0` exited with 128.
I found that I couldn’t try again without first resetting the repo (because the first attempt had created a
clipper-2.0.0 branch and subsequent attempts claimed the version had already been bumped):
cd /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core git co master # "co" is an alias for "checkout" git br -D clipper-2.0.0 # "br" is an aliase for "branch"
Seeing it not work a second time, I just manually pushed the commit:
git push --set-upstream github.com:/wincent/homebrew-core.git clipper-2.0.0:clipper-2.0.0
(Note the pushing over SSH here because I can’t push over HTTPS.)
This created this PR, which had a checklist in it which I dutifully marked off. Specifically, I had to do these:
brew install --build-from-source clipper brew audit --strict clipper
Overall, this was broken enough that I will probably just produce a manual PR again next time.