This probably won’t be of much interest to anybody, but keeping these notes here for my own use. There are a few different passphrases that I may want to rotate from time to time:
- 1Password master pass: I found that when I changed this on macOS, the change wasn’t immediately visible on my iOS client, even when I deleted and reinstalled that client. After a few minutes or after entering my passphrase on the Mac again (I’m not sure which one of these was responsible), I was able to log in to the iOS client using the new password.
- SSH private key pass:
ssh-keygen -f ~/.ssh/$PRIVATE_KEY_FILE -p
- macOS login pass: System Preferences » Users & Groups » Change Password…
- Backup volume passphrases:
- An HFS+ backup volume on a USB stick: Using "Change Password…" in the Disk Utility "File" menu.
- An AFPS backup volume on an external drive: Using "Change Password…" in the Disk Utility "File" menu.
- A disk image on disk:
hdiutil chpass ~/Backups/$PATH_TO.sparseimage
- GPG private keys:
gpg --edit-key email@example.com(at the interactive prompt: