Compatibility with HP All-In-Ones (AIO)

1. anonymous

The HP Communication app's incompatibility with Fast User Switching (FUS) is well documented on Apple's support web pages. Essentially, HP Communications remains open when using FUS and disables all further HP AIO print capability. This is a major flaw in Panther which neither Apple or HP has addressed. Is Winswitch compatible with HP Communications?

2. Greg Hurrell

I have no idea what this HP AIO thing is, but I don't think there'd be any harm in installing WinSwitch and seeing how it works.

Perhaps related to this, you should see this FAQ entry for an example of how WinSwitch can be used to overcome incompatibilities between Logitech's Control Center software and Fast User Switching:

https://wincent.dev/a/products/winswitch/faq/#switchInSwitchOut

It's possible that WinSwitch could be used to enable a similar fix for this HP AIO issue you talk about.

For what it's worth, in the case of the Logitech problem, it's not a flaw in Panther, but a flaw in the Logitech software. The same is probably true of this HP thing.

3. anonymous

I found out about Winswitch while in the process of trying to solve problems with the HP Communications driver/app.

Winswitch will work ok, what you need to do is install switch in/switch out shell scripts or apple scripts that quit and relaunch the "HP Communications" process.

I just did this a couple of days ago, and it seems to work ok most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't work. Also I am now seeing problems with Winswitch hangin the systemuiserver process (I tried the latest 3.0b download after reading a thread related to the systemuiserver hang, and this has not fixed the problem)

I'm still trying to sort out exactly where the problems are...

4. Greg Hurrell

To avoid confusion we should probably try to keep all trouble-shooting efforts in one place. I'm going to reply to your post in another thread here, but probably the best place to squish bugs would be the bug tracking database.

5. anonymous

agreed, we'll talk about the winswitch issue on the other thread.

For the original poster, here are the two applescripts...

this one starts the hp app (goes in switch in folder) Code: set pid to "" set pid to do shell script "ps -ax | grep -v grep | grep 'HP Comm' |awk '{ print $1 }'" if (pid = "") then do shell script "open '/Library/Printers/hp/HP Communications.app'" end if

this one kills the hp app, goes in the switch out folder: Code: set pid to "" set kill to "false" set pid to do shell script "ps -ax | grep -v grep | grep 'HP Comm' |awk '{ print $1 }'" if not (pid = "") then do shell script "kill " & pid set kill to the result end if

6. anonymous

I posted this howto on macosxhints last fall. It works well for me...

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041013213911785

- Brian