updates and cover art

1. anonymous

hello,

I was wondering, when a final and working relase of synergy3 (standard) will be released. I am working since april with v5a7

I now noticed (little snitch) that this version tries to connect to amazon. can I turn this off?

"album cover" for the floater needs internet connection? why? all my mp3s have the cover inside the mp3 file.

thanks - kai.

2. Greg Hurrell

The 3.2 series is the best one for Leopard right now due to a bug in the OS that only Apple can fix. So the 3.5 alpha series is pretty much at the mercy of Apple as there's nothing I can do to fix the issue. Bug #640 is the ticket with the relevant information.

3.2 and 3.5 are feature equivalent, so there's no penalty in using 3.2 for now. Once Apple gets its act together new features will be added to the 3.5 branch, but for now they are basically in parity with each other.

As for the Amazon connections. It should only be connecting on those occasions when iTunes doesn't provide artwork. Have you noticed any particular pattern in which kind of songs are playing when the connections get initiated? It might be some special case in which iTunes refuses to hand over the art.

3. anonymous

hi wincent, thanks for your reply. sounds that there will be no solution for this in a while. or do you know if apple is working on the problem? maybe for them it is not a problem at all... I am waiting since the release of leopard for them to fix a serious problem with indesign cs3. they know about it. adobe says its apples fault. but nothing absolutely nothing is happening! I have given up on this completely after gazillions of mails and phone calls! all my mp3 files have the cover art embedded. itunes does not check for covers. does synergy check for coversw with amazon if the cover art for the floater is activated? even if there is already cover art in the file embedded?

4. Greg Hurrell

If you read the details in bug #640, yes Apple is aware of the problem and has stated that they want to fix it, but I have no idea when that will be. Worst-case scenario is post-Leopard as Apple can drag its heels a bit on these things, but hoping that they will do it sooner.

As for the cover art thing, it's pretty much like I already said: Synergy will only check Amazon if iTunes doesn't hand over the artwork. Are you using the latest stable release? (3.2.1)

5. anonymous

so if there is cover art in the file itunes won't hand it over??? I am still on 3.5a7

6. anonymous

this forum was dead for 2-3 days on my side. cant post properly here. sorry.

7. anonymous

all my files have cover art included in the file itself. does itunes have problems handing over these pictures, too?

8. pbryanw

Thanks for the update Wincent. Is there any chance for a fix for the spaces issue in the 3.2 series, as this is the only niggle I have with Synergy at this moment in time? I know that Growl announcements work over multiple spaces so I'm sure it's possible (although I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement).

9. Greg Hurrell

The actual fix shouldn't be hard to implement; it's just a matter of finding out the right API calls to do the job. At the moment I am not sure what those might be but I will do some more research into it to find out.

10. Greg Hurrell

all my files have cover art included in the file itself. does itunes have problems handing over these pictures, too?

There have been some reports of iTunes not always handing over the artwork. From the number of comments I've received it doesn't appear to be a very widespread problem and I haven't observed it myself. If someone can provide specific examples of files for which artwork doesn't get sent we might be able to narrow down the problem (for example, it might be restricted to a specific type of file, or a specific type of embedded art).

11. Greg Hurrell

so if there is cover art in the file itunes won't hand it over??? I am still on 3.5a7

It should, but there have been a small number of reports that it doesn't always do so. Not sure why that might be; at least in my local testing here it always works (currently running iTunes 7.7.1 and Synergy 3.5a8).

12. anonymous

I've just done a complete re-install of all my software including the OS (OSX 10.5.6). Now that I've done this album cover art no longer shows up in Synergy, though it worked fine before. The cover art is embedded in the iTunes files so there's no need to search the web. In fact, I would really like to know how to turn that feature off and only have the embedded art show.

13. Greg Hurrell

I just had a similar report (see ticket #1299) although I can't reproduce the issue myself. Can you have a look at that ticket and see if any of it applies to you?

Ticket #87 is the one to see for the ability to use only embedded art.