Features?

1. anonymous

I've looked through your progress report, and it's nice. However, do you think you could give a straight out report (or estimate) of Synergy Advance's features?

2. Greg Hurrell

I'm remaining tight-lipped about features until I've actually got a public beta out for download. Since writing Synergy there have been literally dozens of clones that copy Synergy ideas in whole or in part, so I've learnt not to say too much about stuff that I've got planned...

The obvious and general answer, however, is that the purpose of Synergy Advance is to add all the things that people have asked to be added to Synergy, but which can't be added to that product for practical reasons. The Synergy codebase is over 40,000 lines, and it already does a lot more than it was originally intended to do (just look at the version history). The architecture is starting to show signs of strain. It's very hard to maintain. I'll be able to do a whole lot more with Synergy Advance, because it's written from scratch with a much more extensive vision of future direction and expandability... The codebase should be very scalable. I'm not worried about managing it as the project grows...

3. zerock

Quote: I'm remaining tight-lipped about features until I've actually got a public beta out for download. Since writing Synergy there have been literally dozens of clones that copy Synergy ideas in whole or in part, so I've learnt not to say too much about stuff that I've got planned...

The obvious and general answer, however, is that the purpose of Synergy Advance is to add all the things that people have asked to be added to Synergy, but which can't be added to that product for practical reasons. The Synergy codebase is over 40,000 lines, and it already does a lot more than it was originally intended to do (just look at the version history). The architecture is starting to show signs of strain. It's very hard to maintain. I'll be able to do a whole lot more with Synergy Advance, because it's written from scratch with a much more extensive vision of future direction and expandability... The codebase should be very scalable. I'm not worried about managing it as the project grows...

nice and im really looking forward to it , i think the wait will definetely be worth it.

4. Greg Hurrell Created , edited

Finally was able to install Xcode 1.5... being away in Australia I couldn't download it because I only had limited dialup access. Back in Spain now I've downloaded it and couldn't be more thrilled with it.

Considerably better than beta 2, which was considerably better than beta 1, which was considerably better than 1.2 etc...

Top on the list of things I really like about the final release: Subversion support Code completions now signalled by underlining instead of an ellipsis Code completion and the editor in general are much faster Build results, global find etc all have attached editors if you want them (I want them), like in ProjectBuilder; this is a major productivity enhancer for me because I am working on a 12" PowerBook screen The resize/creep bugs in the documentation window are fixed The activity viewer provides much-needed visual feedback for indexing activity Split controls in the scroll bar are back Selecting a project window from the menu list brings that project's main window to the front (previously you had to select a sub-window for the project) There are heaps more great things about this release, but those are the things that come to mind for now. Great work by the team at Apple. All these little improvements help me to be more productive and get the code turned out faster...

The only regression I've seen is at this stage is that you can't finish editing in the "Commit" dialog by hitting the Enter key (you could in the old days...) Going to submit a bug report about it to Apple now...

5. webmacster87

Quote: Since writing Synergy there have been literally dozens of clones that copy Synergy ideas in whole or in part...

Yep. I've seen and tried many of them.  They aren't as good as Synergy, but they are completely free...
  6. Greg Hurrell

Quote: Yep. I've seen and tried many of them. They aren't as good as Synergy, but they are completely free...

I've got some thoughts on free software, and this seems as good a place as any to write about them.

Presumably the programmers you refer to above have some other form of income, otherwise they couldn't eat. In my case, the only income I receive is from software. I basically have a choice between two alternatives:

1. Give the software away for free, pay the hundreds of dollars each month required for the webserver colocation and other costs, and find some other kind of job to pay the rent and put food on the table. If I go down this path then I won't get much programming done, because I won't have a lot of free time.

2. Sell the software, and hope that the sales are enough to pay the bills as well as rent, food etc. If this works out, I can get more programming done because I won't have to go work in the local bookstore (or wherever). Unfortunately, despite the very low license cost, piracy makes this alternative a little difficult.

So those I my choices. Everybody else has a choice too: pay 5

7. caval

Quote: Quote: Yep. I've seen and tried many of them. They aren't as good as Synergy, but they are completely free...

Just a few words. There are a lot of free programs but Synergy is for a professional work ... let's be honest.

8. pope52

Wincent, I do appreciate your efforts put into your work. I'm sorry that you've become disheartened by the finances of it all. Your pricing is incredibly fair and I would venture to say that your users know and understand this. Keep it up. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

9. anonymous

why not go for online verification? make it where your software checks an online database maybe even work it in to the installer app.

though it might be more work than it's worth, if you did work it in to your installer app that could give you an edge of the other installer solutions as well as protect your future software.

10. anonymous

I assume that's the way to go -- look at "Support > Product Activation".

11. Eerk

Hi Wincent,

I think you forgot one additional option for you to earn some income: Get the big shots at a large company (yes, I mean Apple) to incorporate one of your applications (yes, I mean WinSwitch) as part of their next OS release and get a decent amount of money for that. But perhaps you need a very tough agent for the negotiations ;-)

Greetz, Eerk.

12. itsajeepthing111

Jus an idea for the ichat feature, when Itunes is not running or no song is selected, it would be nice if the available status jus said "available" or some user designated phrase instead of saying "Paused: - ". Love the app though, keep up the good work

13. Greg Hurrell

Quote: Jus an idea for the ichat feature, when Itunes is not running or no song is selected, it would be nice if the available status jus said "available" or some user designated phrase instead of saying "Paused: - ". Love the app though, keep up the good work

I've made an entry in the feature requests database for this:

https://wincent.dev/a/support/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=406

14. itsajeepthing111

Also I forgot to specify, if Synergy Advance is quit as in the case when the "Auto-quit synergy advance when Itunes is quit" option is checked, the itunes status should default back to "available" before synergy quits. That way the last song being played is not still being displayed in the Ichat status with no way of it being updated besides by the user manually.

15. Greg Hurrell

https://wincent.dev/a/support/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=407