# from the top level directory of the Walrus source tree rake spec
Finished in 40.956492 seconds 299 specifications, 0 failures
- Download and installation
# download wget "http://rspec.rubyforge.org/rspec-0.9.0.gem" # install sudo gem install rspec-0.9.0.gem # update fast doc index fastri-server -b
- Run specs again.
A huge number of errors were raised because deprecated methods like
should_raise are no longer present.
Finished in 11.389094 seconds 299 examples, 157 failures rake aborted!
- Run the translator *
spec_translator spec spec
- Visually inspect the changes *
M spec/additions/module_spec.rb M spec/grammar/additions/regexp_spec.rb M spec/grammar/additions/string_spec.rb M spec/grammar/and_predicate_spec.rb M spec/grammar/continuation_wrapper_exception_spec.rb M spec/grammar/match_data_wrapper_spec.rb M spec/grammar/memoizing_cache_spec.rb M spec/grammar/node_spec.rb M spec/grammar/not_predicate_spec.rb M spec/grammar/parser_state_spec.rb M spec/grammar/parslet_choice_spec.rb M spec/grammar/parslet_combining_spec.rb M spec/grammar/parslet_merge_spec.rb M spec/grammar/parslet_omission_spec.rb M spec/grammar/parslet_repetition_spec.rb M spec/grammar/parslet_sequence_spec.rb M spec/grammar/parslet_spec.rb M spec/grammar/predicate_spec.rb M spec/grammar/proc_parslet_spec.rb M spec/grammar/regexp_parslet_spec.rb M spec/grammar/string_enumerator_spec.rb M spec/grammar/string_parslet_spec.rb M spec/grammar/symbol_parslet_spec.rb M spec/grammar_spec.rb M spec/parser_spec.rb
I tried rerunning the specs but this time the failure was instantaneous due to syntax errors introduced by the translator. These were fairly easy to fix: I checked out a clean copy of the source code and used opendiff to compare the old and new codebases, manually fixing the problems and using BBEdit to semi-automate some of the more numerous, repetitive changes using a multi-file regular-expression-based find and replace.
Now the specs were running again but I still had to eliminate some "warning: parenthesize argument(s) for future version" warnings produced because of lack of parentheses around some method parameters.
- Update TextMate bundle
wget http://rspec.rubyforge.org/RSpec-0.9.0.tmbundle.tgz tar xzvf RSpec-0.9.0.tmbundle.tgz rm -rf "/Users/wincent/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/RSpec.tmbundle" mv RSpec.tmbundle /Users/wincent/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Bundles/
The bundle is really fantastic. It provides lots of shortcuts for writing specs which I confess I don’t really use much; the outstanding feature is the ability to run specs from within TextMate: hit Command-R and you can either run the current file as a Ruby file, run the focussed specification only (where the text insertion cursor is), run all specifications, or run the specs in the selected files/directories.