more winserverui crashing with 3.0b

1. anonymous

I read the thread with debugging info & a link to a new build to address winserverui hanging. I installed that build and am still seing problems with winserverui being hung.

Most of the time it doesn't seem to affect anything, I can use the menu items. But twice now it has gotten into a state where as soon as I move the mouse over the system menu, I'll get the spinning beach ball cursor.

The following is appearing in the console... what else can I provide for troubleshooting?

Mac OS X Version 10.3.7 (Build 7S215) 2005-01-06 00:02:55 -0500 2005-01-06 00:02:55.833 SystemUIServer[218] failed to load Menu Extra: NSBundle </Library/Menu Extras/WinSwitch.menu/Contents/Resources/MenuCracker.menu> (loaded) 2005-01-06 00:02:55.834 SystemUIServer[218] MenuCracker: Loading 'WOWinSwitchMenuExtra'. 2005-01-06 00:02:56.650 SystemUIServer[218] WinSwitchHelper launched 2005-01-06 00:02:56.650 SystemUIServer[218] WinSwitch.menu loaded. DOCK: CFMessagePortSendRequest returned -2 2005-01-06 00:03:12.426 WinSwitchHelper[242] Could not get menu extra (-4956) DOCK: CFMessagePortSendRequest returned -2 2005-01-06 00:03:20.921 WinSwitchHelper[242] Could not get menu extra (-4956) 2005-01-06 00:03:22.755 SystemUIServer[218] when trying to launch imagecapture hot plug application, LSOpenFromURLSpec failed: -1

2. Greg Hurrell

We need to be clear on our terminology here to avoid confusion. This bug report about SystemUIServer is about crashes:

https://wincent.dev/a/support/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=68

But you're talking about "hanging". In my book, a "crash" is when an application goes boom and stops running. ie. one minute it's there, and the next minute, boom, it's gone. A "hang", in contrast, is when an app continues to run, but when you can't do any useful work with it because it's beachballing. Sometimes a hung application can get unstuck, but in many cases you could leave it running forever and it would never recover; it would just keep on beachballing.

So the build referred to in bug #68 (which fixes a crashing issue), shouldn't really have any bearing at all on a hanging issue.

As for the console output, most of it looks normal to me. The system will always complain about being unable to load "MenuCracker.menu". This is a necessary part of the process of getting the system to accept third-party menu extras. Then you see WinSwitch getting loaded normally.

The "Could not get menu extra" lines indicate a time out is occurring. Basically, whenever a new menu extra is added to the menu bar, WinSwitchHelper makes sure that it wasn't the Apple Fast User Switching menu that got added (and if it was, it displays a helpful notification dialog explaining why there are two Fast User Switching menus visible at the same time!). Those -4956 errors indicate timeouts when WinSwitchHelper is asking the system whether the Apple Fast User Switching menu is present. If these timeouts are occurring often, I suspect something fishy is bogging down your system, or there's some other incompatibility that's causing the time out.

The last line has nothing to do with WinSwitch, but must be generated by some other menu extra installed on your system. You should probably post a list of menu extras that you are using.

3. anonymous

When I say hang, this is what I mean.... If I use the Activity Monitor to view the running processes, the line showing SystemUIServer will turn red, and instead of just saying "SystemUIServer", it says "SystemUIServer (Hung)"

Once when this happened, things were in a state such that when I moved my mouse to the system menu area, I would get the spinning wheel. Most of the time though, the menu still seems to work, even though the SystemUIServer is showing as Hung in the application monitor