Dead?

1. anonymous

Is Synergy dead? I love it, it's one of the first thing I install when totally reformatting my drive. After today's Mac OS X release (10.10), I'm finding Synergy in the menubar when using the dark theme rather ugly. Most of the themes I've found are from 2007 and earlier, has development and theming gone the way of the Do-Do? I'd love to try my hand at making some new icon sets, but I just don't know where to start and all the information regarding how to do so looks Greek to me.

Sincerely, A Syngery lover.

2. Greg Hurrell

I wouldn't say dead, but rather "suspended". Due to my full-time job I don't have time for the project any more, so I released the source code in early 2012, and made the product entirely free with the 6.0 release.

I'll still try to keep it running on whatever the latest version of OS X is, but any significant feature work would have to come from open source contributors.

And for what it's worth, I agree with you about the icon sets needing a rev (and not just because of the Yosemite dark theme, but also because of Retina)...

3. anonymous

Well glad to see you're still active with Synergy in some regard. I use Photoshop daily, and would love to have a go. Is there any simplified method of creating icon sets?

Also, thank you for releasing the new version for free and more importantly, making it open source and releasing the source code. Too many developers would rather see their hard work die than to release it. Going to email everyone I know (both of them!) and let them know that they can download it.

Thanks for your reply Greg.

4. anonymous

Since we lost the better looking 3D buttons on the windows left side of 10.10 (red-yellow-green), I used the 3D settings of Synergy for the menu bar. The app still works for me on a french-canadian OS10.10 !

5. Greg Hurrell

In the download archive if you look at "Extras" -> "Sample Button Sets" -> "About the Sample Button Sets.pdf" there is a section in the doc on how to make button sets. The main thing is just making a set of images (and they can have transparent backgrounds so you might be able to make some that look nice on the dark menu bar) which should be 22 pixels high and 72 DPI.

As I said above, it would be nice to expand the format to include 2X "Retina" assets as well, which would look nicer on those screens, but that would require code changes.

6. anonymous

@Anonymous, I'll give that a go. I updated to 10.10 as well and Synergy works great. @Greg, I'll have a look at that. I meant I did once upon a time and found it to go over my head, but I'm known for taking a look at something and considering it too difficult without actually trying. :)

Also, something to note: I reduced transparency on 10.10, turned off dark mode and the majority of skins look great. (Obviously). So I'm thinking, what if we reversed the skin color? Also, I am not a fan of the new "flat" UI change in 10.10. I like skeuomorphism, and it was something that made OS X great.

The new flat UI stylings remind me of old Ubuntu themes from 2005. Not something I want on my computer in 2015.

7. anonymous

Totally off topic, but going with my previous post regarding OS XX, here's something I found interesting: http://mac-how-to.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-yosemite-look-more-like-classic-pre-mac-os-x-systems-0157986/

I'm also purchasing Flavours when Flavours 2 is released for OS XX. More: http://flavours.interacto.net/ I've also downloaded a way to skin the dock in OS XX: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/51149/cdock (Check the comments as the latest version is there.)

Flavours isn't free, however cDock is! Needless to say, I just do not like 10.10's new look!

8. Thomas More

Ok, sorry to triple post, but I can't seem to find the old download section. Perhaps you have a link handy Greg? Sorry for the bother.

9. Greg Hurrell

Not sure which download section you're referring to; but several old versions are available on this page (as well as the current version), and the old button set gallery is still up here.

10. Thomas More

That's the one Greg, thanks. Kinda threw me off when yous aid "PDF", so I may have totally overlooked the actual page you linked.

11. anonymous

I'm glad it's not totally dead. Working partially for me in 10.10.1, sometimes it just quits.

If it does carry on I'd make some buttons too, I'm using the dark theme and the glass buttons I've always used.

Jay

12. anonymous

just reinstalled on my new macbook. synergy is always my first must have app! would love to see some updated retina/dark mode button sets!