Remap Apple Aluminum Keyboard Multimedia Keys?

1. anonymous

Hello,

While Synergy has a seemingly extensive option set, I am looking for the ability to remap the 'multimedia keys' on my bluetooth Apple Aluminum Keyboard. For example, because I use optical output on my mac mini I wish to have the Volume Up/Down keys control iTunes volume instead of System volume for which the keys currently ignore. Additionally, because I use a non-Apple monitor the Brightness controls are useless on my keyboard, but using them for Itunes Rate Up/Down would be pretty awesome.

Would it be possible to modify these specialty Apple Keyboard keys to do something different?

Regards, cX

2. Greg Hurrell

Those keys are treated as "special" by the operating system and applications never "see" them as normal function keys. As such, there is no way to "map" them in the traditional sense.

However, you probably can achieve what you want by going into the System Preferences, and in the Keyboard pane, there is a checkbox to use the function keys as normal function keys. At that point, they stop behaving like "special" keys and you can map them and do anything you would normally do with any other key.

So, you could then map the F11 and F12 keys to the iTunes volume using Synergy, and you'd also probably want to map your Dashboard and Exposé keys explicitly to F4 and F3 etc.