Snow Leopard compatibility

1. anonymous

Don't get me wrong, synergy works perfectly in snow leopard 10A432. Will you ever update synergy to 64 bit or leave it alone at 32 bit?

TIA!

PS: this is easily in my top 5 favorite osx programs. my brother and i each bought a license years ago. please keep on updating/developing it! :))))

2. Greg Hurrell

At this stage I don't think there would be much performance gain, if any, in changing from 32 to 64 bit, but I will certainly keep an eye on it as new machines and OS revisions come out. Once 64 bit performance is better for this kind of workload on the majority of machines I'll make the switch.

3. anonymous

Any idea if Synergy will ever support Spaces for the built-in floater that displays track information?

4. Greg Hurrell

Yes, it's been in the database for a long time now (see ticket #609). Thanks for reminding me about it.

5. anonymous

I'm having a problem with the synergy volume floater not disappearing after volume adjustment. The "Next/Previous" seems to disappear correctly though. I'm using a the Griffin Powermate to control volume.

thanks

6. Greg Hurrell

I don't have a Griffin Powermate so can you clarify how it actually modifies the volume? Do you program it to send hot key combinations? Or...?

7. pbryanw

Just wondering if the garbage collection (I think that's what it was called) bug has been fixed in Snow Leopard, that was holding back development of Synergy?

8. Greg Hurrell

No reports of the bug appearing in Snow Leopard yet, so fingers crossed.

9. anonymous

"To use the "Synergy" preferences pane, System Preferences must quite and reopen."

I get this message any time I open the Synergy PrefPane in OS X.6 on my late 2007 24" iMac. Once it quits and reopens, I can get into the Synergy pane with no problem for as many times as I like... but after quitting System Preferences and coming back to it later, the above message comes back again.

10. Greg Hurrell

If you're using the System Preferences panel, sounds like you're using version 3.4 of Synergy.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? It might be some kind of permissions issue or something. I just tried to reproduce with a clean install of version 3.4 on my Snow Leopard install and no message like that is shown.

11. Greg Hurrell

Looks like someone filed a related question on this one as ticket #1394. That indicates that the dialog that you're seeing might be related to the System Preferences application running in 64-bit mode by default on newer machines.

As I note in that ticket, I've got a first-gen Intel iMac which always runs in 32-mode, so that's probably why I don't see a dialog.

12. pbryanw

Yep, if your Mac can support it, the System Preferences runs in 64bit mode. Then if you want to open a 32bit pane you need to restart preferences, hence the pop-up warning. I recommend to anonymous that they install the latest Synergy 4.01beta for Snow Leopard, which doesn't require a preference pane to use (I've had no problems with this version so far on Snow Leopard).

13. Greg Hurrell

Thanks for clarifying pbryanw. I'll be investigating the 64-bit issue once I get a new machine, although I don't know exactly when that will be.

The truth is that I doubt the 3.4 series will ever be updated to include a 64-bit architecture, because the build process would be horridly complicated (it must run on 10.2.8, which means I have to boot into Tiger to actually build it, but I'd then need to do a separate 64-bit build under Snow Leopard and then stitch the binaries together; it would be a very error-prone process and I think very hard to adequately test the build result before shipping).

In the meantime, as pbryanw says, your other options are the 4.0 or even the 3.5 series, both available on the download page. Or just put up with the dialog (guess it depends how often you need to open the preferences).

14. ccrider

I don't have a Griffin Powermate so can you clarify how it actually modifies the volume? Do you program it to send hot key combinations? Or...?

Yes I send key commands based on what I set up in synergy (been using same commands for years). The Powermate allows you to set a repeat rate between 1-10 which I've tried adjusting to no avail. I've also tried adjusting the key repeat rate in system prefs. Sometimes it works, mostly with sharp, quick turns, but a gentle turn on the knob will usually make the volume command "stick" sending the volume all the way up or down, and keeping the floater on screen. Right now I'm using a "comm-opt-control-uparrow" for volume up but have tried simpler commands.

I've had to start using "SizzlingKeys" which works but not as elegant as synergy, of course. :( It looks like sizzlingkeys doesn't respect keyrepeats, which is a clue as to why it works and synergy doesn't, which doesn't affect me because as I turn the knob the key commands are repeated.

Thanks, hope this helps. craig

15. Greg Hurrell

If it's just the volume keys, try upgrading. There was an issue fixed with sticky volume hot keys a while ago. Either try the 3.4.1 release if you're on the 3.4 series, or a recent 4.0 release if you're on that series.

16. ccrider

If it's just the volume keys, try upgrading. There was an issue fixed with sticky volume hot keys a while ago. Either try the 3.4.1 release if you're on the 3.4 series, or a recent 4.0 release if you're on that series.

I tried both versions and they both have the same problem. Hmm...

17. Greg Hurrell

Don't know whether this will help but I can tell you the difference between the volume control hot keys and all the others.

There are two "events" that can occur when a key is pressed:

• "key down" (press) event
    • "key up" (release) event

Most of the hot keys in Synergy perform their action immediately on "key down" — eg. you press the "pause" hot key, and Synergy immediately pauses without waiting for you to release the key — but the volume keys are different: if you just press and release then it bumps the volume, but if you press and hold it will keep bumping the volume up periodically until you release the key.

The Snow Leopard bug that was fixed was that for some reason the system wasn't always sending those "key up" events. I don't really know why these events aren't always sent on Snow Leopard, but I was able to at least implement a work around and add checks for when those events go missing.

Key repeat events are another matter entire. That's what you're manipulating in the system prefs. Basically those are sent just like the other events, but the system sets a flag to say "this is a repeat event, not actually a new key press". Synergy isn't interested in those, doesn't register for them, and doesn't receive notifications for those events.

18. anonymous Created , edited

I'm still having this sticky volume issue with Synergy 4.1 on 10.6.1.

Happy to provide more info, but the forum wouldn't let me log in after signing up. [redacted to remove email address from public view]

19. Greg Hurrell

Using Safari and "Private browsing" by any chance? I've had trouble logging into sites if I leave that active by mistake.