Change playlist via keyboard?

1. alnyden

I was curious if it was possible to bring up the playlist menu (or even the synergy menu bar menu) via the keyboard? This would be fantastic since I would love to use my remote control to change playlists and Synergy is the best way I know to select playlists outside itunes. Thanks!

2. Greg Hurrell

It's not possible to do that at this stage, but it should be possible in some way in the future (it will require changes to the code).

For example, in Synergy Advance I already have the ability to set a hot key to pop up its Global Menu. It is not so easy to add new hot keys to Synergy because of the lack of space in the UI.

So that this request doesn't get forgotten will add it to the database here:

https://wincent.dev/a/support/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=616

3. alnyden

Thanks for the reply. Is Synergy Advance something I can use now? Using a hot key to bring up the global menu would be perfect.

4. Greg Hurrell

A public preview release of Synergy Advance is available.

I'm currently updating it to work on Leopard, so for now it's only an option if you're still on Tiger.

5. alnyden

I'm on Leopard so I'll keep an eye out for the new version. Thanks!

6. alnyden

I just tried this in Advance (on a Tiger computer) and there is a strange behavior. The hotkey to bring up the menu works, but when I am in iTunes, the hotkey brings up the iTunes help menu instead.

7. Greg Hurrell

I think you need to pick another hot-key then, as the one you choose looks like it is used inside iTunes to show the help menu.

8. alnyden

You're correct, thanks for pointing out the obvious!

On the topic of that hot key, would be it possible (as an option) to have that hot key toggle the menu on and off? (instead of one key to toggle on, then escape to exit).

Also, the direction arrows do not seem to be able to control that menu (which works in Synergy). It would be great if they did, and if the left arrow would close the menu as well.

Thanks.

9. Greg Hurrell

Toggling: yes, that's a logical change to make.

I would have thought that the direction keys would work... at least they did for me last time I tested!