Dreamweaver and the Menu Bar

1. Joeldm

whenever I use Dreamweaver MX 2004, the Synergy Menu Bar controller disappears. I can't find any reference to issues with Dreamweaver either in the Troubleshooting area of in this forum. Is this a known issue that I'm missing or something "new".

Is there a fix?

Thanks, Joel

2. Greg Hurrell

Without seeing a screenshot I would imagine that the cause is that your screen is not wide enough to hold both the Dreamweaver menu items (on the left) and your menu extras such as Synergy (on the right).

If you experiment with this you'll see that the left hand side always "wins" when there isn't enough space. Note that even if Synergy isn't visible you can still use it to control iTunes via hot keys.

You can try to make Synergy appear further to the right (so that it is less likely to get obscured by Dreamweaver) by ensuring that it loads before other status items (that's the technical term for third-party menu add-ons). Apple-provided menu extras (Volume, Fast-User Switching etc) use a different API and will appear even further to the right.

3. Joeldm

Amazing that I never noticed that! Yes, that is the problem. However, the Dreamweaver menu is so long that the large Synergy menu item gets knocked-off every time. In part because I also use MenuCalendarClock and use a long date string, so it takes up a lot of the right-side real-estate.

Too bad Apple doesn't have a "proportional" setting for the menu bar so things could resize to play nice with each other.

Thanks for the info.

JoeL