customize syngery

1. areut

is synergy still in development with this new synergy advance and all? if so it would be nice to be able to customize the visuals more like removing the seperator on the popup and also the popup uses different font sizes and it would be nice to customize those as well so they can all be the same

2. Greg Hurrell

Yes, both products are under active development and will continue to be developed independently in the future because they have different target markets.

Synergy is a mature product whose goal is to be a lightweight, fast, convenient companion to iTunes. It is compatible with versions of Mac OS X all the way back to 10.2.8.

Synergy Advance is still in the pre-1.0 (public preview release) stage, and is intended to be much more heavyweight, using an extensible plug-in based architecture so that a huge amount of functionality can be loaded into the main host application.

There are a number of feature requests open in the database about customizing the Floater, including the items that you mention. See:

Database search for "floater"

3. areut

since that wont happen forever is there a way i can edit the floater myself? i just want all text to be the same size and ill be happy

4. Greg Hurrell

No, not yet. The way the Floater is drawn is very "hard-wired" so there's no amount of external tweaking that can be done to change it. Changes need to be made at the source-code level to make things more customizable.

When I started writing Synergy back in 2002 it was my first Cocoa project and so too many aspects of it were "hard-wired". Then Mac OS X 10.3 came out with a technology called Cocoa Bindings that makes it much easier to store things in user preferences and exposes those settings to the user (Cocoa Bindings does a lot more than that, but that is one of its key uses). If Cocoa Bindings had been available when Synergy came out then I would have been able to do a lot less "hard-wiring" than I did... The trouble ever since then has been that retrofitting additional options onto Synergy has always been difficult, because I couldn't use Cocoa Bindings (that would break compatibility with Jaguar).

At some point in the future I will lift the minimum requirements to some version of Mac OS X later than Jaguar, and that will open the flood gates as far as adding user preferences goes.