msng and Floater display

1. RichB

I searched the bug list and only found 2 entries with msng and this is a similar but expanded request.

Googling msng isn't much help: msng.exe is a dangerous trojan and others have found the mysterious acronym related to iTunes code and streaming.

Whenever streamed content is played the Floater and Recent Items display "msng - " as previously mentioned. What is also odd is that Artist, Album, URL, and Composer fields on an iTunes stream entry do not make it to the Floater. The stream name and star rating do, along with the "msng - " annoying text. Album information can be turned off in Synergy's preferences, which I'd prefer to leave on, to hide the annoying text "Streaming Internet Radio."

Often I am streaming from Live365's Radio365 to Nicecast to iTunes to get the iTunes feature of synchronized AirTunes on remote speakers. Now I have commercial and DJ free music throughout the house. Radio365 to Airfoil had a terrible delay between computer and remote speakers bypassing iTunes and Synergy. Normally I have the Floater always displayed but with this combination it looks funny. I can live with it of course but if you come across a fix it would be great.

Possible solutions:

- figure out why iTunes uses "msng - " and "Streaming Internet Radio"  then remove them from the Floater
    - like other requests to hide the Floater when iTunes is inactive if the Floater could be hidden when a radio stream is active would suffice
    - the iTunes song display area and the Floater immediately show changes to a Song's information. iTunes display immediately shows changes to a Stream's info but Floater does not (yet). 

A stream also has the Lyrics tab grayed out which makes sense but why has Apple not let us apply Artwork to a stream for Floater's benefit? (rhetorical question)

Thanks for an always awesome product!

2. Greg Hurrell

Thanks for posting. The four letter code returned by iTunes, "msng", means "missing". Synergy is literally displaying the returned value. It may be possible to either filter this out or re-query iTunes later on to try and get a "non-missing" value.

https://wincent.dev/a/support/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=66

https://wincent.dev/a/support/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=88

3. RichB

Thanks!