Buy Synergy Advance and get a free Synergy license

1. Greg Hurrell

To celebrate the holiday season and get more people on board testing the preview releases of Synergy Advance Wincent is announcing a special offer during the month of December: buy a Synergy Advance license and get a free Synergy license. This is a great opportunity to get a license for both products, or to use the complimentary Synergy license as a gift for somebody else.

For more information, see:

https://wincent.dev/a/news/archives/2005/12/special_offer_b.php

2. talppu

Best way to get more people to test Synergy Advance would be a new preview release... Many people may not be willing to spend money to application that in its current state is totally unusable, has been under development for few years and haven't had releases or any other signs of advancement in a long time.

I'm one of those who will buy the license as soon as the application is usable. If the applications learns to extract the track information from iTune's netradios, I may even buy a second license just to support the good work

3. Krypton

Quote: Best way to get more people to test Synergy Advance would be a new preview release... Many people may not be willing to spend money to application that in its current state is totally unusable, has been under development for few years and haven't had releases or any other signs of advancement in a long time.

I'm one of those who will buy the license as soon as the application is usable. If the applications learns to extract the track information from iTune's netradios, I may even buy a second license just to support the good work

I think this man has hit the nail on the head. It must be at least 2 years now since Synergy Advance was first discussed.

4. Greg Hurrell

A few points: firstly, I have to respectfully disagree with you that the application is "totally unusable" (I find it not only usable, but stable and useful; I think that calling it "totally unusable" is unfair and an exaggeration); secondly, it's needless to say that work continues and new releases are on the way (in fact, working on them is my job) and I am a little surprised that you would suggest that I do a new release as though the idea hadn't occurred to me already(!); thirdly, the free Synergy license offer is all about marketing -- it is a promotion -- and if you're not interested in the offer then no one is forcing you to take it up. I thought it would be a nice idea anyway because of the gift angle as I occasionally get people asking how they could go about buying a license as a gift for someone.

This is the free market and people have a number of options: buy one, buy the other, buy both, buy neither. The offer is obviously the cheapest way to go for those that are interested in the "have both" option. But if you prefer to skip the offer and not buy right now, you're perfectly within your rights to do so.

If you want to be the first to know about the next release, subscribe to the announcements mailing list.

I plan to do a new release this month.

5. talppu

Ok, it's not "totally unusable", but 90% of Advance's planned features are not yet functional in pre2 release. I don't feel very motivated to test 5 months old aplha-level code, because I would expect to get only "I know, it's not even supposed to work yet" or "it's fixed already in the HEAD" responses to my bug reports.

Because there is nothing reasonable for end-users to test yet, your reasoning "to get more people to test it" sounds... you know... little too much like 'marketing'

Happy coding,

-talppu

6. Greg Hurrell

Well, like I said, it is a marketing promotion, and the more people testing the better.

7. martin

hmmmmmm...

I don't want to rant, but sometimes I wonder if Synergy Advance is really still "alive". While nothing has happened for about half a year, Synergy Classic has progressed from 1.X to 2.3 in that time...

Given that I can sort of understand the points that some people make. I do not think that Advance is unusable (I use it all the time), but it is true that Classic a) can do more and b) has seen improvements over the last time.

It really would be about time for som vital signs if You want people to get hooked on Advance.

Cheers, Martin

8. zerock

Hopefully we will get a new update to Advance soon.

9. Greg Hurrell

Synergy release (version 2.4) today:

https://wincent.dev/a/news/archives/2006/01/synergy_24_rele.php

Synergy Advance to follow suit shortly.