Synergy Advance Timetable

1. pope52

I was curious if you could comment on the approximate timetable for this product's release.

2. elroy

Yeah Win - 'seriously looking forward to this app. How about a hint, at least?

(congrats on the new forum too)

3. Greg Hurrell

Well, release date predictions are notoriously unreliable, so I am not going to pin myself down to a specific date.

But I will say that it is my intention to follow the same pattern I followed with Synergy, and start off a public beta program as early as possible, so that users can see the evolution of the app through 0.1, 0.2 and so on, right up to 1.0.

Right now though, I am stalled waiting for Apple to send me my copy of Panther. Most likely because I am in Spain... Ordered it using their "Up to date" program on 4 November, and here we are, 15 November, and it's still "Being Assembled"... Hard to believe that I could download and burn it quicker than get a legit copy... As far as I know, no one in Spain has a legit copy yet... sad indeed.

4. pope52

I'm sorry to hear that -- that's a pain in the butt.

5. elroy

Hey Win, 'hope you're enjoying yourself over there.

In regard to the new "Synergy: Version Awesome" - there's no pressure from us man - any time after the weekend is fine! :P

6. anonymous

Wincent I'm in Spain (Marbella) and I pre-ordered Panther, and received it from the Apple store one day after release. I too am looking forward to synergy advance.

7. Greg Hurrell

I ordered it via their "up-to-date" program on 4 November. This wasn't a pre-order, because I was hoping my laptop would come with it. Alas, I bought the laptop on 4 November, well after the release of Panther, and it came with 10.2.7.

So on the same day I placed my order. The Apple Store Spain was quoting 1-2 days to get the discs via the up-to-date program. To order Panther outright it was quoting 5-7 days. So I ordered...

Here we are on 24 November and their page says it finally shipped (out of Ireland) on 21 November, but I am still waiting for it to get here to Madrid.

And I have been doing the rounds of the Mac stores in Madrid and no one has it. I would've paid full price for it in order to have it on day one, but have had no joy...

Perhaps it is because I didn't pre-order, but of course, that wasn't an option... In any case, I am disappointed in Apple, but I'll be happy at the end of it all, I think...

8. anonymous

I should surely hope by now you have Panther...

9. Greg Hurrell

Quote: I should surely hope by now you have Panther...

Yes, but believe it or not, Apple's delivery never arrived. They stuffed up. Said it was on its way, but it turns out that it never left the warehouse. Tired of waiting, I went out and bought a retail box when they hit the shelves in Spain... I wasn't an ADC member back then, and even if I was I wouldn't have been able to download the release because I only had net access from Internet cafes...

In any case, since then I have been posting progress reports in this thread.

10. anonymous

im going crazy waiting for it!!!! AYAAAHH

do i have to wait longer for the public beta? please start it up soon - you are a coding god!

11. Greg Hurrell

Hehe. I'm going crazy writing it too!

Since this thread started I've solidified my plans a bit:

(1) I've started to refer to the original Synergy as "Synergy Classic" on the website to avoid confusion with Synergy Advance.

(2) Synergy Advance will support some Tiger-only features, but it will run on Panther also. The Tiger-only functionality will be disabled when running on Panther.

(3) Synergy Classic will continue to run on Jaguar and Panther. At this stage, it currently runs on Tiger as well, and I hope that continues to be true when Apple releases the new OS.

(4) Given the Tiger-only stuff in Synergy Advance, I've decided to coincide the release of Synergy Advance with the debut of Tiger. Apple hasn't yet announced a firm date for Tiger; we only know it's to be in the first half of 2005. I'll be doing my best to get Synergy Advance to the public at the same time.

12. Krypton

If Synergy Advance will run on Panther too, why not release it when it's done? Then you can collect license money from the project, eager users get their hands on the software and everyone goes home happy...

13. Greg Hurrell

Quote: If Synergy Advance will run on Panther too, why not release it when it's done?

Because it ain't done... Still lots of work to do...

14. Krypton

I do appreciate that, but I intended to imply that if it were finished before Tiger's release, it would be nice if it were not delayed further by wanting to coincide with this.

15. Greg Hurrell

Quote: I do appreciate that, but I intended to imply that if it were finished before Tiger's release, it would be nice if it were not delayed further by wanting to coincide with this.

Of course. If it's ready, it will be released. Believe me, I am as keen as anyone to see this released. The sooner it's out, the sooner I can start selling licenses, which will hopefully help to compensate for the huge piracy problem I've had with Synergy Classic for some time now.