Ubuntu Command-T is installed but crashes VIM every time I try to envoke it

1. anonymous

So I have followed this:

https://github.com/skwp/dotfiles

I have .rbenv managing my rubies - but the default ruby 1.8 is still installed.

I have the default vim installed.

➜  command-t  sudo ruby extconf.rb 
    checking for ruby.h... yes
    creating Makefile
    ➜  command-t  sudo make           
    gcc -shared -o ext.so ext.o match.o matcher.o -L. -L/usr/lib -L. -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic    -lruby1.8  -lpthread -lrt -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -lc
    ➜  command-t  sudo make install
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 0755 ext.so /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i686-linux

Seems to compile ok.

BUT every time I attempt to activate the command-t function, vim closes with a message:

gvim: symbol lookup error: /home/keith/.vim/bundle/wincent-Command-T/ruby/command-t/ext.so: undefined symbol: rb_intern2

AND leaves a file called: yankring_history_v2.txt in ~

2. Greg Hurrell

Looks to be miscompiled. Rather than repeating myself, I'll just refer you to my comments on this forum topic.

The yanking_history_v2.txt file is unrelated to Command-T. Most likely some other plug-in is not cleaning up after itself when Vim crashes.

3. globalkeith

Thanks! I've had a look at the thread you suggest but beyond describing what the problem is, do you have any suggestions how I can resolve it and get this working on my machine?

4. globalkeith

Ok, so I have tried installing a fresh version of Mint 12 (Ubuntu), with a freshly compiled version of vim, straight from https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ with ruby support (with a brand new install of ruby 1.9.2p290 using rbenv/ruby-build), and I'm still getting the same problem.

Could you explain how I can debug this, to uncover what/where the problem is?

5. Greg Hurrell

Nothing beyond the usual advice to make sure you build Command-T using the same version of Ruby that your copy of Vim was linked against at build time.

If you want further tips, I suggest you post a full transcript showing the steps you took to build both Command-T and Vim. I might be able to spot a mistake.