Bansshee 1.0 is out

1. Greg Hurrell

Full details here:

https://wincent.dev/a/news/archives/2006/10/bansshee_10_rel.php

2. anonymous

I was wondering if you still use Bansshee and if so how you set it up on a MacOSX server? You install file has configs for RHEL and others. I guess I could figure it out, except before I do I would rather know if you still use it.

Thanks in advance.

W.

3. Greg Hurrell

I've never used Bansshee on Mac OS X but I imagine it could be made to work without too much effort. (There's never been any real need for me to use it on my Mac OS X machines because these a local, desktop machines and I don't even have SSH enabled on them.)

You'll notice that all the platforms supported so far use iptables for blocking attacks; iptables is a firewall commonly used on Linux. Mac OS X doesn't have iptables and uses ipfw instead, so if you wanted to make Bansshee work on Mac OS X you'd need to change it to use the different firewall. Like I said, this isn't too much effort, but it does go beyond mere configuration.

It's not something I have a personal interest in doing, but the tool is open source, so if anybody wants to do the work to port it to Mac OS X I would welcome the contribution.